Volkswagen ID.3. Travels 531 km on Single Charge

The electric hatchback traveled from Germany's Zwickau to Switzerland's Schaffhausen.

This Volkswagen ID.3. was able to drive 531 km without recharging: 111 km more than the manufacturer's declared drive range (WLTP). The ride designed to test the energy efficiency of the hatchback started in Germany's Zwickau, where the ID.3. is assembled. The end point of the route was Schaffhausen in North-Eastern Switzerland.

Volkswagen ID.3. Travels 531 km on Single Charge photo 2

The ID.3. 1st Pro Performance equipped with a 58-kWh (medium) battery and a 204-hp powertrain was used for the test. The hatchback drove on the highway about 44% of the way and on country roads the remaining 56%. During the nine-hour ride, the car was moving at an average speed of 56 km/h.

Driver Felix Egolf known for his records in driving without refueling and for his skills that increase the car efficiency was at the wheel of the hatch. Thus, Egolf used every opportunity to press the gas pedal, allowing the ID.3. to coast. And on the highways, he trailed behind the trucks.

Volkswagen ID.3. Travels 531 km on Single Charge photo 3

However, some effect of these «tricks» was used to compensate for the car weight increased by 250 kg: there was a cameraman and other equipment for shooting along with the driver. In addition, daytime running lights were constantly on. Sometimes, Egolf turned on air conditioning and radio.

However, the average power consumption is turned out to be significantly less than the stated one. It was amounted to 10.9 kWh/100 km instead of 14.5-15.4 kWh/100 km.

Volkswagen ID.3. Travels 531 km on Single Charge photo 4

The Volkswagen ID.3 was presented at International Motor Show Germany in September 2019. The car is equipped with 150-hp or 204-hp and 45-, 58- or 77-kWh batteries. Depending on the battery, the range of the electric vehicle is 330, 420 or 550 km (WLTR).

Related News

Sign up or log in to post a comment